A dose of reality
More than 70% of people who abuse prescription painkillers get them through friends or relatives. Let’s hope that statistic doesn’t include your children. Because, in recent years, the rate of prescription painkiller overdoses has increased by 260% among young Wisconsinites ages 12-25.
What Prescribing Medical, Dental, and Pharmacy Providers Can Do
- Talk with patients about the dangers and risks of prescription painkillers, especially those that include opioids.
- Offer alternative prescription painkiller options (those that don’t include opioids) to patients.
- Make sure patients are aware of the high risk of addiction, especially among young people ages 12-25.
- Reinforce that patients should take medicine only if it has been prescribed for them by their doctor, physician, dentist, or prescribing medical professional.
- Reinforce that patients should take medication only as directed. They should never adjust the schedule or dosage on their own.
- Store prescription painkillers securely – ideally, locked in a cabinet or drawer.
- Dispose of unused, expired, or unwanted medication properly.
Resources for Prescribing Medical Providers
Get the facts on the dangers of prescription painkiller abuse and share them with your patients.
Share Drug Take Back locations near you and encourage patients to dispose of any expired or unwanted prescription painkillers.
Post and distribute free DOSE OF REALITY informational and educational materials, created specifically for you by your peers in the Wisconsin medical, dental, and pharmaceutical communities, which you can use in communicating with your patients.
The Wisconsin Department of Justice, along with the Wisconsin Department of Health Services, has put together an easy-to-use online ordering web portal that contains posters, brochures, and fact sheets specific to medical, dental, pharmacy, and pain management professionals.
The materials may be accessed on the portal at no charge and many of them are customizable (i.e., you may add your organization’s name and/or logo). Click Here to find out how you can receive a password to access the online ordering web portal.
EXAMPLES OF DOSE OF REALITY MATERIALS FOR THE MEDICAL COMMUNITY